Erberto Lo Bue & John Bray (eds.). 2014. Art and Architecture in Ladakh. Cross-cultural Transmissions in the Himalayas and Karakoram. Leiden: Brill. 438 pp.
The book consists of 17 research papers, mainly drawn from the 2007, 2009 and 2011 IALS conference. Their topics range widely over time, from prehistoric rock art to medieval Buddhist stupas and wall paintings, as well as early modern castle architecture, the inter-regional trade in silk brocades, and the challenges of 21st century conservation. Taken together, these studies complement each other to provide a detailed view of Ladakh’s varied cultural inheritance in the light of the latest research.
- Tashi Ldawa Thsangspa: “Ancient Petroglyphs of Ladakh: New Discoveries and Documentation“.
- Phuntsog Dorjay: “Embedded in Stone—Early Buddhist Rock Art of Ladakh”.
- Neil and Kath Howard: “Historic Ruins in the Gya Valley, Eastern Ladakh, and a Consideration of Their Relationship to the History of Ladakh and Maryul With an Appendix on the War of Tsede (rTse lde) of Guge in 1083 CE by Philip Denwood”.
- Quentin Devers, Laurianne Bruneau and Martin Vernier: “An Archaeological Account of Ten Ancient Painted Chortens in Ladakh and Zanskar”.
- Gerald Kozicz: “The Chorten (mChod rten) with the Secret Chamber near Nyarma
- Philip Denwood: “The Dating of the Sumtsek Temple at Alchi”.
- Marjo Alafouzo: “The Iconography and the Historical Context of the Drinking Scene in the Dukhang at Alchi, Ladakh”.
- Heinrich Poell: “The Wood Carvings of Lachuse. A Hidden Jewel of Early Mediaeval Ladakhi Art”.
- Chiara Bellini: “The mGon khang of dPe thub (Spituk): A Rare Example of 15th Century Tibetan Painting from Ladak”.
- Kacho Mumtaz Ali Khan, John Bray, Quentin Devers and Martin Vernier: “Chigtan Castle and Mosque: A Preliminary Historical and Architectural Analysis”.
- Kristin Blancke: “Lamayuru (Ladakh)—Chenrezik Lhakang: The Bar Do Thos Grol Illustrated as a Mural Painting”.
- John Bray: “The Lost Paintings of Kesar”.
- Filippo Lunardo: “Tshogs zhing: a Wall Painting in the New ’Du khang of Spituk (dPe thub)”.
- Monisha Ahmed: “From Benaras to Leh—The Trade and Use of Silk-brocade”.
- André Alexander and Andreas Catanese: “Conservation of Leh Old Town—Concepts and Challenges”.
- Hubert Feiglstorfer: “Revealing Traditions in Earthen Architecture: Analysis of Earthen Building Material and Traditional Constructions in the Western Himalayas”.
- John Harrison: “Conservation of Architectural Heritage in Ladakh”.